Thee location of Barwick’s Tavern (c. 1775–c. 1790) was part of a colonial commercial cluster of now-vanished buildings that once included a government-mandated tobacco warehouse, a “jail”, a ferry crossing and several buildings that all predated 1747. The site is very rare and ideal for archeology since little change at the site occurred after 1790. At the request of the Society, the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT) has already conducted magnetic susceptibility and magnetrometer/gradeometer testing to pinpoint high-value sites below ground.
Artifacts taken from the land will be removed through “field work”, cleaned, catalogued, described in a report and displayed in Caroline County to the public.