The Center for Caroline County
History and Culture
Your $10 donation takes just a minute.
Your generosity sustains our work.
Hear Our Stories
Leaders for Freedom & Civil Rights
Bishop Alexander W. Wayman, founding AME Bishop, was raised in Tuckahoe Neck. Underground Railroad conductors Daniel Hubbard and Arthur Leverton barely escaped lynching. The parents of William Still, “Father of the Underground Railroad”, were born into slavery near the Choptank River. James H. Webb, a free black, farmed here before the Civil War.
Courageous & Creative Women
Nettie Dean Carter, prominent teacher, suffragette, and businesswoman – a century ahead of her time. Enolia McMillan, NAACP’s first woman president, started her teaching career in Denton. Harriet Tubman’s Underground Railroad ran through the heart of Caroline County. Anna Murray of Tuckahoe Neck helped Frederick Douglass escape north before they married and raised a family.
Capt. Quentin Walsh, USCG, captured the French seaport that secured D-Day. 2LT Louise Hollister was Maryland’s only Army Nurse casualty in WWII. Col. Peter Adams commanded Maryland troops at Yorktown. Col. William Richardson, “Father of Caroline County”, also saved the Continental Treasury from the British. Cpl. William H. Carney, 38th US Colored Troops, was laid to rest at Union Church after the Civil War.
Captain C.C. Wheeler was illiterate yet built and operated a successful steamboat line. George Swartz and his mule loaded sailing vessels in West Denton in the 1930s. The Two Johns were vaudeville actors whose riverside theater scandalized the locals. Georgist Tax Rebels planned a colony at Gilpin Point. Robert Jacobs was a modern blacksmith at age 14.
Stand in the Place –
The Society’s Preservation Projects
James Webb, a free African-American farmer, built this hand-hewn log home in 1852. He lived here with his enslaved wife, Mary Ann, and their four children, Charles, Elizabeth, John and Ann, and Webb’s father, Henry. The Webbs were members of Mount Pleasant Church....
With its broad Victorian porches stripped away and surviving interior woodwork behind cheap wallboard and 1970s partitions, the 1892 depot was recommended by town staff in 2008 as a site for public toilets. As an alternative, the Society prepared concept plans for...
Below the cat-urine-soaked floorboards were termite-riddled floor joists and sill plates, all requiring very costly reconstruction. The dwelling also lacked a septic system, approved well and modern electric service. Immediately after our purchase a decade ago, the...
Interior and exterior walls had badly cracked from major structural problems, numerous fire-burned holes punctured the roof, and mold turned the interior ceilings black. After initial spending by the Society for stabilization and documentation, extensive meetings with...
Castle Hall in Goldsboro (c. 1781) was dark, vacant, neglected, and deteriorated, with ongoing vandalism that included broken doors, graffiti-sprayed walls and hundreds of smashed window panes, once-proud Castle Hall with the finest colonial woodwork in Caroline sat...
The Society was offered an “old shed used as a meat house and granary”, but what we discovered had a lot more history: A one-room dwelling that our architectural consultant said was originally a slave dwelling, our dendrochronologist dated to 1829, and court records...
Join Together with Us
Caring, Sharing, Giving
The CCHS depends on your generous contributions to continue to promote and protect Caroline County’s rich heritage. Funds are used to operate the Museum of Rural Life, sustain our programming, and restore and maintain historically significant structures throughout Caroline County.