Reverend Jeremiah Miller was jailed in Easton. He prophecied the Lord would shake the town that day. After he was driven out, the church went down in that part of Maryland, until Bishop Wayman returned and set it right.

Bishop Wayman at Tuscola ILThe Legacy of A.M.E Bishop A.W. Wayman of Tuckahoe Neck, Caroline County, Maryland

Bishop Wayman recollects: 1827 Rev. Peter D. W. Schureman came to Eastern Shore of Maryland then went to Georgetown, Delaware, where he was arrested and put in jail. Rev. Moses Robinson and others went his bail.  Bishop Morris Brown went there and took him up to Philadelphia. 1830 After Rev. Noah C. W. Cannon was gone, the officers came to my father’s house and broke open his (Cannon’s) trunk, thinking that as they failed to get him they might find something in it that would throw some light on the movements they supposed were going on among the colored people. They found nothing but some Masonic books and paperrs. My father sent the trunk to Rev. Noah C. W. Cannon at Philadelphia. The next minister I heard of was Rev. Jeremiah Miller. He went to Easton and was put in jail. He predicted that if he remained there, the Lord would shake the town that day. It is said that a great storm arose that afternoon; the citizens became alarmed; the County Court was in session; the Judge ordered the Sheriff to let him out; it was done, and he left as quickly as Lot left Sodom. During these times of trouble Rev. Anthony Campbell was preaching at Cecilton, when the church was surrounded by some men who came to take him. He secured a lady’s shawl and bonnet, and got out at the back window and walked away. After the ministers were driven away, the A. M. E. Church went down in that part of Maryland. Some that belonged to it joined other churches, and others went back to the world. From 1830 to 1868, about thirty-eight years, the A. M. E. Church had no existence in that part of the State of Maryland. 1868 In 1868, at my request, Rev. A. L. Stanford organized the A. M. E. Church in Denton, Caroline county, Maryland, and it is now the leading Church among the colored people in the county. The A. M. E. Church having been re-organized at Denton, my native home, I went there in July, 1869, to hold a bush meeting. I was accompanied by Rev. James A. Handy on Sunday, who gave the A. M. E. Church a great lift. He was then the Secretary of the Missionary Society. 1870 Sunday, November 13, 1870, I dedicated a new church in my native town, Denton, where forty years before Rev. N. C. W. Cannon was chased from, simply because he was a minister of the A. M. E. Church.