The Historic Landscape of Caroline County
We identified the locations of the blacksmiths, stables, wheelwrights, and carriage shops in the Choptank River Heritage area primarily by georeferencing the 1875 Isler and 1897 Saulsbury maps of Caroline County.
In the map shown on this page, use the toggle at the upper left to turn on/off background layers for 1866-1897 maps of Caroline and surrounding counties.
Use the grid icon to change the modern basemap from topographic to satellite imagery, roads and streets, or others.
Below the map are lists of identified blacksmiths, stables, wheelwrights, and carriage shops which appear in the map.
Or go to the larger map of Blacksmiths, Stables, Wheelwrights, and Carriage Shops in the Historic Landscape of Caroline County, Maryland with historical and imagery basemaps.
See our Choptank River Heritage Sites Research map application for the geographic locations of all documented sites. These sites can be viewed over a variety of topographic, satellite and aerial imagery, and historic basemaps.
Many of the historic sites are described in detail here in the CCHS web site. Use the website search box above to find pages and posts for sites by name.
|Name||Earliest Documented||Latest Documented||Lat||Lon|
|Blacksmith & Wheelwright Shop||1875||-75.91||38.71|
|Blacksmith Shop – probably Marshall Price in 1895||1875||-75.88||38.78|
|Blacksmith Shop (prob Jos. Roop)||1897||-75.84||38.78|