Preserving Caroline's History & Culture

The Society has worked to preserve over fifty historic buildings. We also preserve and safeguard sacred sites, precious artifacts, and shared stories.

The Society is almost certainly the most active historical society in rural America in terms of the number of buildings being preserved. Located from Goldsboro to Choptank Village, our projects are found throughout the county.  All preserved buildings must have a specific future use. Most will become the centerpiece or parts of multi-building and multi-site educational “interpretive centers” to tell unique stories that highlight the national historical signifcance of Caroline County as well as the qualities that make us so exceptional.

For example, Caroline’s resilience produced an extraordinarily unique 350+ year history of commercial agriculture as our only major industry; our service to country led to Caroline’s unmatched record of residents fighting in every major battle save one in American history; and our moral courage gave Caroline the best Underground Railroad history in rural America.

Gadow Dwelling (c. 1851) Being Restored

Gadow Dwelling (c. 1851) Being Restored

Despite living his life in the local Long Depression (1819-1895), Jesse Hubbard (c. 1811-1879) was determined to erect for his wife and nine children a fine house in the Greek Revival style of architecture, a style then prevalent in the Deep South and other prosperous...

read more
Rebecca Tylor Dwelling (c. 1810) Rescued

Rebecca Tylor Dwelling (c. 1810) Rescued

Despite being a widow with seven children, Rebecca Tylor (1823–1884) was indomitable in addressing local ills: She educated free and enslaved blacks, sought fair treatment for county “Poor House” inmates, demanded equal rights for women, advocated prohibition, took in...

read more
1927 Firehouse Being Exposed and Repurposed

1927 Firehouse Being Exposed and Repurposed

The 1927 Denton Firehouse was the epitome of the bygone era of a true "community project". This photo c. 1927 shows original truck doors to be reinstalled and façade to be restored. The original was doubled in size by an addition in 1954. In the 1970’s, when a new...

read more
Site of Barwick’s Inn (1775) Studied

Site of Barwick’s Inn (1775) Studied

Thee location of Barwick’s Tavern (c. 1775–c. 1790) was part of a colonial commercial cluster of now-vanished buildings that once included a government-mandated tobacco warehouse, a "jail", a ferry crossing and several buildings that all predated 1747. The site is...

read more
James H. Webb Cabin Restored

James H. Webb Cabin Restored

James Webb, a free African-American farmer, built this hand-hewn log home in 1852. He lived here with his enslaved wife, Mary Ann, and their four children, Charles, Elizabeth, John and Ann, and Webb’s father, Henry. The Webbs were members of Mount Pleasant Church....

read more
Ridgely Train Depot (ca. 1892) Restored

Ridgely Train Depot (ca. 1892) Restored

With its broad Victorian porches stripped away and surviving interior woodwork behind cheap wallboard and 1970s partitions, the 1892 depot was recommended by town staff in 2008 as a site for public toilets. As an alternative, the Society prepared concept plans for...

read more
Miller’s Dwelling (c. 1873) Improved

Miller’s Dwelling (c. 1873) Improved

Below the cat-urine-soaked floorboards were termite-riddled floor joists and sill plates, all requiring very costly reconstruction. The dwelling also lacked a septic system, approved well and modern electric service. Immediately after our purchase a decade ago, the...

read more
Plain Dealing (Caroline Poor House) “Salvaged”

Plain Dealing (Caroline Poor House) “Salvaged”

Interior and exterior walls had badly cracked from major structural problems, numerous fire-burned holes punctured the roof, and mold turned the interior ceilings black. After initial spending by the Society for stabilization and documentation, extensive meetings with...

read more

Hear All of Our Stories

Paranormal Night at Linchester Mill

Invitation to a Special Fundraising Event October 30-31, 8 PM to 3 AM Spend a night with Caroline County Paranormal for their return investigations of Historic Linchester’s buildings of the 18oo’s. Hear local history and stories of the Mill and a Linchester home near...

Chitman’s Lane Colored School

Chitman’s Lane Colored School

Listed in 1896 school expenditures in Elect. Dist 5, Comparing 1875 and 1897 maps shows the new section by river of road that runs to Agner/Chestnut on 1897 map. Now Chipman’s Road. Geo coords are precise for existing building that is marked as church/school on 1906 USGS map. USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) lists this location as John Wesley School.

Gadow Dwelling (c. 1851) Being Restored

Gadow Dwelling (c. 1851) Being Restored

Despite living his life in the local Long Depression (1819-1895), Jesse Hubbard (c. 1811-1879) was determined to erect for his wife and nine children a fine house in the Greek Revival style of architecture, a style then prevalent in the Deep South and other prosperous...

Rebecca Tylor Dwelling (c. 1810) Rescued

Rebecca Tylor Dwelling (c. 1810) Rescued

Despite being a widow with seven children, Rebecca Tylor (1823–1884) was indomitable in addressing local ills: She educated free and enslaved blacks, sought fair treatment for county “Poor House” inmates, demanded equal rights for women, advocated prohibition, took in...

1927 Firehouse Being Exposed and Repurposed

1927 Firehouse Being Exposed and Repurposed

The 1927 Denton Firehouse was the epitome of the bygone era of a true "community project". This photo c. 1927 shows original truck doors to be reinstalled and façade to be restored. The original was doubled in size by an addition in 1954. In the 1970’s, when a new...

Site of Barwick’s Inn (1775) Studied

Site of Barwick’s Inn (1775) Studied

Thee location of Barwick’s Tavern (c. 1775–c. 1790) was part of a colonial commercial cluster of now-vanished buildings that once included a government-mandated tobacco warehouse, a "jail", a ferry crossing and several buildings that all predated 1747. The site is...

James H. Webb Cabin Restored

James H. Webb Cabin Restored

James Webb, a free African-American farmer, built this hand-hewn log home in 1852. He lived here with his enslaved wife, Mary Ann, and their four children, Charles, Elizabeth, John and Ann, and Webb’s father, Henry. The Webbs were members of Mount Pleasant Church....