This aid to navigation marks the bar off Hambrooks on the west approach to Cambridge. Hambrooks Bar Light was established in 1902. It consists of a 15 foot high conical-shaped cast iron/concrete caisson tower painted red and white. The automated optic is a 250 mm acrylic lens.
In April 2020, CCHS volunteers Don Barker and Chad Dean were notified by Jim Malone, a lighthouse enthusiast from Connecticut, that the Hambrooks Bar Light was scheduled for demolition. The U.S. Coast Guard had awarded the contract to Tuskegee Contracting, LLC, from Hampton, Virginia, to complete the work by June 16. Malone worked with leaders of the Jim Richardson Maritime Museum and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum to make the public aware of the plan.
As of autum 2023, the Hambrooks Bar Light structure was still in place. The Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society reported that the Coast Guard removed the light in 2021. The Coast Guard considered the Hambrooks light to be redundant of the nearby non-lighted red buoy #24.