Wayman’s Wharf

Also called Wayman’s Landing.

Wayman’s Wharf was located on the Tuckahoe River a few miles south of Hillsboro.  It served as the steamboat landing for Hillsboro from at least from 1881 to 1921. The African-American Wayman family owned the wharf and adjacent farm.  The Waymans were free citizens before the Civil War and were related to the renowned AME Bishop Alexander W. Wayman.

Smaller freight vessels called lighters took cargoes between the landing and Hillsboro. Wheeler Transportation Line leased this wharf for $40 per year. There was another landing just up river called Rolph Landing, but Wayman Wharf was the uppermost steamboat landing on the Tuckahoe River. The railroad and finally motor vehicles superseded the wharf. The landing is designated on “Topographic Map of Caroline County” 1950 revised 1971.

Cribbing from an early 19th century wharf and two presumed ferry barge wrecks (18CA 104 and 105) are known from this site. The wrecks are believed to date from ca. 1860 to 1900.

(Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory, 1999-2002)