Other Names: School No. 5
Earliest Documented: 1886
Latest Documented: 1928
School No. 5 in Election District No. 4, 1896. (Roughly MD 16 and Preston west to Choptank River.)
Included in attendance list of colored schools in 1924-1928.
This matches the description of location for a new colored school to be established in 1886 by moving the “Goose Pond school house” to a location “near Joshua Johns’ or ex-sheriff Wm. Noble’s place”. [Denton Journal 1886-02-27/page-3/] This matches the vicinity of Johns Church in the 1897 Saulsbury map for residences of Mrs. Wm. Noble (widow) and J. A. Johns.
The mapped location is north of Johns Church which appears in Google Maps (2019):
Johns Church also appears in the 1949 USGS topo map (Preston 1:24K).
An active cemetery (2019) exists the small area surrounded by trees just south of the site marked above.
Structure Exists: No
Primary Source: 1897 Saulsbury Map
Other sources: Denton Journal 1928-10-20, page 4, 1924-11-15/page-5, 1925-01-17/page-5.