Burrsville School

Other Names:    School No. 2, School No. 16

Earliest Documented:     1870      

Latest Documented:       1933      

Description

“In the 1870s, Chinquapin white school was  discontinued and a school building erected on the spot now occupied by the Union. M. P. Church. This was Burrsville’s first public school.” (Cochrane)

“The old M. P. Church, erected in 1833 or 1834, was purchased by the county and is still used as the public school building for Burrsville.” (Cochrane)

Imagery shows school-like structure prob with graveyard just south of church. Geo coords are precise to this location. Site visit in Mar 2017 showed no  school structure.

Categorized as Public School in 1918, Rural School 1925-1933. (Denton Journal).  Isler 1875 school no.  16. DJ 1877 list school no. 16. DJ 1896 list school no. 2. Located in 1896 Election Dist. No. 3.”

Location Precision:          50           Meters

Structure Exists:                No         

Primary Source:                Cochrane            

Other Sources: Cochrane pp. 218-222, 320-346. Denton Journal 1908-08-29/page-5, 1925-01-17/page-5, 1928-10-20/page-4, 1933-02-25  

[crhno_crh746]