Camp Grove School

Other Names:    Chilton’s School, Carter’s School, School No. 1, School No. 10       

Earliest Documented:     1830      

Latest Documented:       1924


School building at Sheppard’s Church moved to this site in 1830 “to the south end of Carter’s or White’s Lane, hence the name Carter’s which was applied to the school for many years afterwards. …  At this time [1830] or a little later, William Chilton possessed the land around the camp ground and former mill site… school located on his land … given the name of Chilton’s, which is use by many at present, though the official name is Camp Grove … Two school buildings have been burned on the site of the present one which was erected in 1918. ”  (Cochrane)  

Categorized as Public School in 1918, Rural School in 1924. (Denton Journal) Isler 1875 school no.  10. DJ 1877 list school no. 10.  DJ 1896 list school no. 1. Located in 1896 Election Dist. No. 3.

Location Precision:          30           Meters

Structure Exists:                No         

Primary Source:                1875 Isler map,

Other Sources: Cochrane pp 224-250 pp. 320-346. Denton Journal 1924-11-15/page-5, 1897 Saulsbury map