See also Denton Academy (1883-1897)
Other Names: School No. 6, School No. 7
Earliest Documented: 1835
Latest Documented 1879
“In 1835 a school building was erected on the corner of Gay and Second Streets in the block in which the Court House now stands. In 1879 it was removed to Low and Second Streets on the site of the present (1920) Primary School, and was there used as an Academy until 1883, when it was moved a little west on the same street.” (Cochrane)
Isler 1875 map inset of downtown Denton shows school east of courthouse on same block, facing Second St. Isler county-scale map shows “School 6&7” on Gay St. near Second St., opposite the courthouse block. Denton Journal 1877 list of schools includes no. 6 & 7.
Precision: 30 meters. Mapped location is for the Isler Denton inset map next to the courthouse.
Structure Exists: No
Primary Source: 1875 Isler map
Other Sources: Cochrane, 224-250