See also Denton Academy (1835-1879)
Other Names: Denton Schoolhouse, MHT CAR-166
Earliest Documented: 1883
Latest Documented: 1901
Segregated white school.
“In 1879, Denton Academy was moved from courthouse block to Low and Second Streets, there used as an Academy until 1883, when it was moved a little west on the same street. (Cochrane)
Caroline High School was authorized in 1887, building on Franklin St., now culinary school, was built in 1901.
Saulsbury 1897 inset for downtown Denton shows school at location of MHT CAR-166, Denton Schoolhouse, built in 1883. Mapped location is for the MHT site and building.
Location Precision: 1 Meter
Structure Exists: Yes
Primary Source: 1897 Saulsbury map
Other Sources: Cochrane, 224-250; MHT CAR-166