Furman’s Grove School

Other Names: School No. 9 in 1896 Election Dist. No. 2

Earliest Documented: 1865

Latest Documented: 1925

Tags: Segregated White Schools

Primary Source: 1897 Saulsbury Map

Other Sources: Cochrane, Denton Journal

Structure Exists: No

Location Precision: 30 meters


Appears on the 1897 map of Caroline County, Md., by M.L. Saulsbury. Described in Cochrane et al: Earliest record of school in this areas was 1865. About 1888 school name changed to Furman’s Grove for a Mr. Furman who donated land for a building. A new building was later erected. (Cochrane) Categorized as Public School in 1918 and Rural School in 1924-1925 (Denton Journal).

G. Furman appears on 1875 Isler map and W.H. Furman on 1897 map. Geo graphic location for the CRH mapped site match the 1897 Saulsbury map locaton labelled Furman’s Grove School and are precise for a modern building in imagery.

[ crhno_crh205 ]