Other Names: School No. 1

Earliest Documented: 1895

Latest Documented: 1928

Description

School building is adjacent to Union AME Church, which was active until put up for sale in 2016. The school building has been maintained and used for church activities, then for storage. Categorized as Colored School in 1924-1928. Listed in DJ 1896 schools as no. 1. Located in 1896 Election Dist. No. 2.

More photos are here.

Follow our driving tour of Historic Black Schools still standing in Caroline County

Use our mobile-friendly map app .

Click any school for driving directions from your current location.

Historic schools in green are still standing.

Stand in the Place.

Bethel Colored School

Bethel Colored School

Bethel School was active before 1890 when it discontinued, and the Smithville farm alliance used the (original) building. Identification and location are based on Denton Journal info about Houston’s Branch School moved for Bethel School in 1927 and likely associated with Bethel Church.

read more
Marsh Creek Colored School

Marsh Creek Colored School

It might be too late to visit this sacred site. Aerial imagery (2017) indicates that the building described by the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT CAR-159) has been significantly modified or removed and replaced.

read more
Jonestown Colored School

Jonestown Colored School

Jonestown School does not appear on the 1875 or 1897 maps of Caroline County. Black students from this area probably attended nearby Johns Colored School before the Jonestown School was built. The location of Jonestown School on Harmony Road (MD Route 16) is verified in oral history published by Coppin AME Church (formerly Jones Chapel).

read more
Hillsboro Colored School

Hillsboro Colored School

We found this school by comparing the 1920 USGS topo map with Maryland state aerial imagery. It was listed in school board announcements between at least 1896 and 1928.

read more
Denton Colored School

Denton Colored School

The “Denton Colored School” was later known as the Kennard Industrial School, named after Lucretia Kennard, who taught here during the early part of her career. This historic school is documented in MHT CAR-126.

read more
Chitman’s Lane Colored School

Chitman’s Lane Colored School

Listed in 1896 school expenditures in Elect. Dist 5, Comparing 1875 and 1897 maps shows the new section by river of road that runs to Agner/Chestnut on 1897 map. Now Chipman’s Road. Geo coords are precise for existing building that is marked as church/school on 1906 USGS map. USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) lists this location as John Wesley School.

read more
Bridgetown Colored School

Bridgetown Colored School

According to research in the files of the Caroline County Historical Society, the property on which the school stood was acquired by the church in 1881. It is conceivable that the first section of the structure was built after that date. The addition could have built as late as 1910.

read more

The History and Cartography Behind the Story

 

We used these map sources to identify the sites of historic schools:

We verified locations and cross-checked school names and numbers by searching the Denton Journal online.

We explored many sites using satellite imagery and high-resolution Maryland State aerial imagery.

We continue to collaborate with Ms. Jean Kelly, Caroline County Historical Society Archivist Volunteer and author of the forthcoming Historic One-Room Schools of Caroline County, to validate historic school locations and identities and gather stories about school students, teachers, and activities.

We also collaborate with the Choptank River Heritage project and its Caroline Digital History Project.  CCHS maintains archives of research on many of Caroline’s historic schools.  Contact caroline.digi.history@gmail.com for more information.

Above: Hillsboro School re-discovered using historic maps and high-resolution aerial imagery.