Other Names: School No. 1 (1875), School No. 3 (1896)
Earliest Documented: 1797
Latest Documented: 1897
Tags: Segregated White Schools
Primary Source: Cochrane
Other Sources: 1875 Isler Map, 1897 Saulsbury Map, USGS GNIS Placenames.
Structure Exists: Possibly
Precision: 10 meters
“The building was begun in 1797 and was originally intended only for a local school but with the passing of the School Act of 1798 it was incorporated as a Secondary School. … In 1878 the school was taken over by the County Board of Education, who replaced the old building by erecting a more modern two-room structure for a graded school. Categorized as Academy (state-aided) 1797-1878.” (Cochrane)
Categorized as Public School in 1918, Two-Room School in 1924, 1928, and 1933, Two-Teacher School in 1925. (Denton Journal)
Geographic location is are for the school-like building in 6-in orthographic imagery. Mapped location adjusted to align with USGS GNIS.
Location Precision: 10 meters
[ crhno_crh013 ]