Other names: Passapae, Passapees, Prssanos, The Stakes
From Denton Journal, 24 October 1914:
“For a number of years Capt. Charles \V. Wright, who has charge of the Government’s boat inspections at Baltimore and other ports, has found time to give much useful study to historical matters, and his writings and addressee are always of interest to Maryanders. Captain Wright is a native of Caroline county, and his research has been directed particularly in recent years to Caroline’s early days. …
“[Capt. Wright said] Melvin’s Warehouse and other buildings forming that settlement stood on the east shore or bank of the river at the upper part of Cedar Point or the bend proper, and the lower end of ‘Court House’ reach, which forms the next stretch up from the bend. This reach was once known to many mariners and shippers as “The Stakes” and was then the head of navigation for large sailing vessels, and where they anchored or moored to load or discharge their cargoes either from or for a very large area of country, including the village of Choptank Bridge (now Greensboro), which sent its shipments down to ‘The Stakes’ in flat-bottom scows or lighters, and received their consignments in the same manner. Not only did vessels load and clear from here for Chesapeake Bay ports, but occasionally for Atlantic Coast ports as well.”
From Choptank River Cultural Resources Inventory (1999-2002):
Passapea Landing is located at the end of Kibler Road on the east side of the Choptank River north of Smith Landing (Mevills Warehouse) and below Brick Mill Landing about three miles north of Denton where route 313 crosses the Choptank River. The landing is named after the Passipa and/or Passapea family of Maryland.
The landing was also known as “The Stakes” – then regarded as the head of navigation for large sailing vessels. Trade to Greensboro was by flat bottom scows or lighters. At one time “as many as four staunch sailing packets anchored or moored at or near the stakes, all laden to scuppers with valuable cargoes.”
It is designated on “Topographic Map of Caroline County” 1950 revised 1971. The landing is spelt “Prssanos” on “Index Chart of Natural Oyster Bars, Crab Bottoms, Clam Beds and Triangular Stations of Maryland surveyed by Maryland Shell Fish Commission in cooperation with U.S. Bureau of Fisheries and U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey,” 1906-1912. This is believed to be an incorrect spelling for Passapea.
[ crhno_crh407 ]