Other Names: School No. 3, Possibly Mission AME School
Denton Journal Oct 1928 lists Bridgetown white and colored schools separately.
Bridgetown Colored School building in 2009 (MHT CAR-371)
Some details from the MHT document:
“It was to the site soon after the [Collier] farm was acquired by Mr. Collier’s uncle in 1933. Its original location was on East Chery Lane adjacent to a small frame church belonging to the black community. …
“The building is a small frame approximately 18′ x 32′ … with red aluminum siding over plain weatherboard … The form of the building is similar to other late 19th century school buildings of the Fastern Shore and elsewhere. …
“The interior retains many features from its early days as a school building. The walls are plaster on sawn lath above tongue & groove horizontal wainscot similar to the first layer of flooring (about 4” wide). …
“According to research in the files of the Historical Society, the property on which the school stood was acquired by the church in 1881. It is conceivable that the first section of the structure was built after that date. The addition could have built as late as 1910.”
The interactive map below shows the correct location based on MHT CAR-371. The building was moved to the Collier farm near Baltimore Corner in 1933. A planned move to from the farm to Goldsboro in 2009 didn’t happen as of 2021.
Follow our driving tour of Historic Black Schools still standing in Caroline County
Use our mobile-friendly map app .
Click any school for driving directions from your current location.
Historic schools in green are still standing.
Stand in the Place.
Bethel School was active before 1890 when it discontinued, and the Smithville farm alliance used the (original) building. Identification and location are based on Denton Journal info about Houston’s Branch School moved for Bethel School in 1927 and likely associated with Bethel Church.
The school building is adjacent to Union AME Church, which has maintained and used it for church activities and storage. Union Colored School was listed in school board announcements at least between 1896 and 1928.
It might be too late to visit this sacred site. Aerial imagery (2017) indicates that the building described by the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT CAR-159) has been significantly modified or removed and replaced.
Jonestown School does not appear on the 1875 or 1897 maps of Caroline County. Black students from this area probably attended nearby Johns Colored School before the Jonestown School was built. The location of Jonestown School on Harmony Road (MD Route 16) is verified in oral history published by Coppin AME Church (formerly Jones Chapel).
We found this school by comparing the 1920 USGS topo map with Maryland state aerial imagery. It was listed in school board announcements between at least 1896 and 1928.
The “Denton Colored School” was later known as the Kennard Industrial School, named after Lucretia Kennard, who taught here during the early part of her career. This historic school is documented in MHT CAR-126.
Listed in 1896 school expenditures in Elect. Dist 5, Comparing 1875 and 1897 maps shows the new section by river of road that runs to Agner/Chestnut on 1897 map. Now Chipman’s Road. Geo coords are precise for existing building that is marked as church/school on 1906 USGS map. USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) lists this location as John Wesley School.
The History and Cartography Behind the Story
We used these map sources to identify the sites of historic schools:
- 1875 Map of Caroline County by John B. Isler
- 1897 Map of Caroline County by M.L. Saulsbury
- U.S. Geological Survey Historic Maps, 1920-1944
We verified locations and cross-checked school names and numbers by searching the Denton Journal online.
We explored many sites using satellite imagery and high-resolution Maryland State aerial imagery.
We continue to collaborate with Ms. Jean Kelly, Caroline County Historical Society Archivist Volunteer and author of the forthcoming Historic One-Room Schools of Caroline County, to validate historic school locations and identities and gather stories about school students, teachers, and activities.
We also collaborate with the Choptank River Heritage project and its Caroline Digital History Project. CCHS maintains archives of research on many of Caroline’s historic schools. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Above: Hillsboro School re-discovered using historic maps and high-resolution aerial imagery.