Other Names: School No. 4
Earliest Documented: 1896
Latest Documented: 1928
Maryland Historical Trust site MHT CAR-159 notes that “it appears to have been constructed around the turn of the century.”
Denton Journal 1896 list school no. 4. Located in 1896 Election Dist. No. 4. Categorized as Colored School in 1928.
Possibly. May have been replaced with a newer residential structure after 1977.
Above is the building that was documented by MHT in 1977:
“Marsh Creek School is now a residence, and it has been remodeled for that purpose. It retains the large section of the school but the addition n the front was built for converstion into a home. the old part of the building was three bays long and had one room with tall ceiling. It was like many early schools in Caroline County.”
Below is 2017 aerial imager of the building at the location mapped by MHT in 1977. Imagery indicates that the smaller bays have been removed from the structure, or the building has been removed and replaced. Or MHT may have incorrectly mapped this location.
Follow our driving tour of Historic Black Schools still standing in Caroline County
Use our mobile-friendly map app .
Click any school for driving directions from your current location.
Historic schools in green are still standing.
Stand in the Place.
Bethel School was active before 1890 when it discontinued, and the Smithville farm alliance used the (original) building. Identification and location are based on Denton Journal info about Houston’s Branch School moved for Bethel School in 1927 and likely associated with Bethel Church.
The school building is adjacent to Union AME Church, which has maintained and used it for church activities and storage. Union Colored School was listed in school board announcements at least between 1896 and 1928.
Jonestown School does not appear on the 1875 or 1897 maps of Caroline County. Black students from this area probably attended nearby Johns Colored School before the Jonestown School was built. The location of Jonestown School on Harmony Road (MD Route 16) is verified in oral history published by Coppin AME Church (formerly Jones Chapel).
We found this school by comparing the 1920 USGS topo map with Maryland state aerial imagery. It was listed in school board announcements between at least 1896 and 1928.
The “Denton Colored School” was later known as the Kennard Industrial School, named after Lucretia Kennard, who taught here during the early part of her career. This historic school is documented in MHT CAR-126.
Listed in 1896 school expenditures in Elect. Dist 5, Comparing 1875 and 1897 maps shows the new section by river of road that runs to Agner/Chestnut on 1897 map. Now Chipman’s Road. Geo coords are precise for existing building that is marked as church/school on 1906 USGS map. USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) lists this location as John Wesley School.
According to research in the files of the Caroline County Historical Society, the property on which the school stood was acquired by the church in 1881. It is conceivable that the first section of the structure was built after that date. The addition could have built as late as 1910.
The History and Cartography Behind the Story
We used these map sources to identify the sites of historic schools:
- 1875 Map of Caroline County by John B. Isler
- 1897 Map of Caroline County by M.L. Saulsbury
- U.S. Geological Survey Historic Maps, 1920-1944
We verified locations and cross-checked school names and numbers by searching the Denton Journal online.
We explored many sites using satellite imagery and high-resolution Maryland State aerial imagery.
We continue to collaborate with Ms. Jean Kelly, Caroline County Historical Society Archivist Volunteer and author of the forthcoming Historic One-Room Schools of Caroline County, to validate historic school locations and identities and gather stories about school students, teachers, and activities.
We also collaborate with the Choptank River Heritage project and its Caroline Digital History Project. CCHS maintains archives of research on many of Caroline’s historic schools. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Above: Hillsboro School re-discovered using historic maps and high-resolution aerial imagery.