Other Names: Jonestown Elementary School
Earliest Documented: 1897
Latest Documented: 1966
Categorized as Colored School in 1924 and 1928. Segregated school until it closed in 1966.
Jonestown School does not appear on the 1875 or 1897 maps of Caroline County. Black students from this area probably attended nearby Johns Colored School before the Jonestown School was built.
The location of Jonestown School on Harmony Road (MD Route 16) is verified in oral history published by Coppin AME Church (formerly Jones Chapel):
Rosetta (Jones) Johns … recalls from her father, Ralph Wood Jones, that the church started as a Sunday school in the home of Elizabeth Johnson; her house was located beside the present church which later moved into a small school house.
During this time, the church shared joint property with the Farmers Memorial church, namely Jonestown Elementary School shortly after school segregation ended in Caroline County.
The two churches utilized the Jonestown school site for hosting Community meetings, weddings, receptions, Everybody’s Birthday celebrations and revivals. By the end of the decade, Coppins relinquished ownership to Farmers Memorial Church.
A descendant of the Jones family after whom the school was named, reported that she attended the school until it closed in 1966. She also reported in 2020 that the school is still standing. It was moved across the street from its original location and is now located next to the Jonestown Community Park. It has been divided into two or more small apartments.
Structure Exists: Yes. Highly modified, converted to multi-unit residence.
Location Precision: Exact
Follow our driving tour of Historic Black Schools still standing in Caroline County
Use our mobile-friendly map app .
Click any school for driving directions from your current location.
Historic schools in green are still standing.
Stand in the Place.
Bethel School was active before 1890 when it discontinued, and the Smithville farm alliance used the (original) building. Identification and location are based on Denton Journal info about Houston’s Branch School moved for Bethel School in 1927 and likely associated with Bethel Church.
The school building is adjacent to Union AME Church, which has maintained and used it for church activities and storage. Union Colored School was listed in school board announcements at least between 1896 and 1928.
It might be too late to visit this sacred site. Aerial imagery (2017) indicates that the building described by the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT CAR-159) has been significantly modified or removed and replaced.
We found this school by comparing the 1920 USGS topo map with Maryland state aerial imagery. It was listed in school board announcements between at least 1896 and 1928.
The “Denton Colored School” was later known as the Kennard Industrial School, named after Lucretia Kennard, who taught here during the early part of her career. This historic school is documented in MHT CAR-126.
Listed in 1896 school expenditures in Elect. Dist 5, Comparing 1875 and 1897 maps shows the new section by river of road that runs to Agner/Chestnut on 1897 map. Now Chipman’s Road. Geo coords are precise for existing building that is marked as church/school on 1906 USGS map. USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) lists this location as John Wesley School.
According to research in the files of the Caroline County Historical Society, the property on which the school stood was acquired by the church in 1881. It is conceivable that the first section of the structure was built after that date. The addition could have built as late as 1910.
The History and Cartography Behind the Story
We used these map sources to identify the sites of historic schools:
- 1875 Map of Caroline County by John B. Isler
- 1897 Map of Caroline County by M.L. Saulsbury
- U.S. Geological Survey Historic Maps, 1920-1944
We verified locations and cross-checked school names and numbers by searching the Denton Journal online.
We explored many sites using satellite imagery and high-resolution Maryland State aerial imagery.
We continue to collaborate with Ms. Jean Kelly, Caroline County Historical Society Archivist Volunteer and author of the forthcoming Historic One-Room Schools of Caroline County, to validate historic school locations and identities and gather stories about school students, teachers, and activities.
We also collaborate with the Choptank River Heritage project and its Caroline Digital History Project. CCHS maintains archives of research on many of Caroline’s historic schools. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Above: Hillsboro School re-discovered using historic maps and high-resolution aerial imagery.